Pharmacology CASE STUDY
Discussion Question 1 This question is for Peer # 1 and Peer # 2
Discussion Question 1
Diuretics have long been a part of drug therapy and are found in products consumed everyday.
• What is the role of diuretics in modern medicine?
• What are the basic processes of kidney filtration?
• What are the actions of carbonic anhydrase inhibitors, osmotic diuretics, loop diuretics, thiazide diuretics, and spironolactone?
• What are the associated toxicities of the above mentioned diuretics?
• Thiazide diuretics are considered first-line therapy for hypertension. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this therapy?
Justify your answers using examples and reasoning. Comment on the postings of at least two peers.