URBAN ANALYSIS REPORT
WIVENHOE CENTRAL HISTORIC CORE, wivenhoe town, essex county, United Kingdom
As part of your assignment for site studies planning and design in semester 1, you are required to prepare an urban analysis report. The following notes have been prepared to assist you in your preparation of your urban analysis report.
? Introduction and location details
Include location map and outline history of the town
? Analysis of the urban characteristics of chosen study area (central historic core).
– Urban structure (the framework of route and spaces)
– Urban grain (the pattern of blocks, plots and buildings)
– Landscape (shape, form, ecology and natural features)
– Density and mix (the amount of development and the range of uses)
– Scale (height and massing)
– Appearance ( details and materials)
– And other researched and discussed techniques
– Include figure plans ( negative and positive plans of the area under consideration and interpret them to provide an understanding of built form and spaces between buildings)
– Review and evaluation of the assignment including comments on the achievements, difficulties of the assignment.
You must use urban analysis technique and criteria drawn from the books listed below and beyond.
? Key Textbooks/Literature
– G. Cullen: Concise Townscape, architectural Press 1961.
– Essex County Council, (1998), Design Guide for Residential Areas.
– Lynch, K, (1991), City Sense and City Design, MIT.
– DOE: Listed Building and Conservation Areas (PPG 15), HMSO 1994.
– Urban Task Force, (2000), Towards New Renaissance, Spon.
– Llewelin Davies: Townscape Compendium, English Partnership 2000.
– Collier, T, (1995), Design, technology and the development process in the built environment spon