Psychology homework help
1. Provide an original example of an experimental study (make one up). Be thorough in your description. Describe the independent and dependent variables, as well as what you might hypothesize about the relationship between them?
2. For Question 1, would a between- or within-subjects design be preferable? Why?
3. Provide an original example of a correlational study (make one up). Would you expect a positive or negative correlation to characterize this relationship?
4. For Question 3, why would this not be an example of an experimental study design?
5. Find an empirical article that reports results of either an experimental or correlational study (HINT: use one of those words as a search term). I strongly suggest using the PsycArticles database. Copy and paste the abstract for this study here.
6. You just found out that the incoming administration has decided to make a severe policy decision based on a study which revealed a p-value of .35. What would you say to the administration about the reliability of this finding? Would you encourage them to take it seriously or to ignore it?
7. Why do you think the cut-off for statistical significance is set at 5% uncertainty (HINT: there is no right answer here, and no suggestion provided in the slides)?
8. You are told that the correlation between attractiveness and number of accepted dates is +.60 and that this result is statistically significant at p = .02. Explain this finding in everyday language to someone who does not understand correlations.
9. Provide an original example of a non-linear relationship (HINT: look back to last week’s slides for help on this one). What do you think the correlation between these two variables would be?
10. Find an empirical article that reports a correlation (HINT: use the word “correlation” as a search term). I strongly suggest using the PsycArticles database. Take a screenshot of where that correlation is reported in the paper and paste the picture here. Then, interpret this correlation in everyday language.