Check the article attached below for summarizing
Week 2: The Historical Foundations of Management & The Contemporary Workplace
1. What is an ‘organisation’ and why are managers important to an organisation’s success?
2. Define the terms ‘Quality and performance excellence’, ‘Global awareness’, and ‘Learning organisations’.
3. What is the benefit of seeing an organisation as a ‘system’? What difference would this view make to you as a manager?
4. What are some of the opportunities an increasingly diverse and multicultural workforce offers with respect to potential performance gains in organisations?
Week 3: Environment and Diversity
1. What elements comprise the General Environment of an organisation? Use examples to illustrate your answer.
2. What elements comprise the Specific Environment? Use examples to illustrate.
3. What is meant by the term ‘competitive advantage’, and why is it important to organisations?
4. How might a manager go about detecting changes in their external environment?
Week 4: Information and Decision‐Making
1. What is the difference between an ‘optimising decision’ and a ‘satisficing decision’?
2. Using examples, explain how ‘risk’, ‘certainty’ and ‘uncertainty’ influence the decisions that managers make.
3. Identify the steps in the decision‐making process. Use examples to illustrate your answer.
4. Do an on‐line search for the phrase ‘worst business decisions’. Choose TWO (2) examples and describe what happened. What is your reaction to each example? How could the managers in each have made better decisions?
Week 7: Organising
1. What is the organising function? Why is it important? How does it relate to the other management functions?
2. Explain the concepts of formal structure and informal structure. Why must a manager understand and work with both the formal structure and the informal structure of an organisation?
3. What is the purpose of organisational design? What are the differences between bureaucratic designs and adaptive designs?
4. Explain the interrelationships of environmental uncertainty, technology, strategy and organisational design.
Week 8: Ethical Behaviour and Social Responsibility
1. What is meant by the term ‘corporate social responsibility’? In your opinion, should businesses be socially responsible? Support your answer with examples.
2. Identify the alternative views of ethical behaviour and briefly describe the main emphasis of each view.
3. What is an ethical dilemma? Describe some of the causes of ethical dilemmas in the management context.
4. Discuss the ways in which ethical standards may be established and maintained in organisations.