Purpose of the Assignment
This is a semester assignment and it has two parts. In the first part, students need to
do the scientific literature survey and in the second part, they are required to design,
plan and manage a cellular network and analyze its performance. They are required
to compare the results. Thus, this assignment is a blend of research and current
industry trends. It provides an opportunity for students to:
1. Apply concepts of cell design under technical constraints
2. Demonstrate the use of advanced knowledge to solve basic and advance
wireless link design problems in the modern telecommunication system
3. Become familiar with Matlab and related simulation techniques.
4. Understanding the commercial, economic, ethical and security risks in the
The coursework is divided into two parts. The first part is an individual task, each
students is required to carryout the literature review on the evolution of cellular
networks. However, Part 2 is a group task (4 students in a group). It is related to
design and model wireless communication system using MATLAB.
For any discussion on the topic or further information you may write to Dr Irfan Memon
on his e-mail address: email@example.com
The hand-in date of the CW assignment is on 25th December 2018.
Matlab Communications Tool Box and Communication & RF Block set available on
PCs in Laboratory 1.2
Each student is required to conduct up to date research survey on the evolution of
mobile communication systems. The candidates are required to investigate the effects
of risks (such as health and safety, commercial, and security) due to this evolution of
mobile communication system.
This task aims to encourage students to study the current state of the art
developments in the modern mobile and wireless telecommunication systems and
risks such as security, ethical, and health and safety issues involved in such systems.
Design and Implement a Mobile/Wireless Communication System for Poor Quality
Mobile/Wireless Communication Channels using MATLAB
This is a group task aims to model, simulate and evaluate the performance of mobile
and wireless communications system for noisy Channels using Matlab. The sources
of noise in the channel can be: multipath propagation, ambient noise and
propagation delay. A large part of the work is related to performance comparisons of
cell-design among various generations of the cellular mobile communication
systems. The performance metrics to be utilized include outage probability, through
put, bit-error rate and capacity. The goal is to achieve the high performance and
The candidates have full control over using the different components and parameters
in their design.
• Your implementation will be at the level of MATLAB Communications Toolbox
and Communications Block set (i.e. NO hardware design is required).
• Assume that the data is already digitized.
• You are not required to use data compression or error correction.
Useful Scientific web portals
Students may take a technical focus of a particular technology and survey scientific
web portals such as:
• Google Scholar (scholar.google.com)
• IEEE Explore (http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/guesthome.jsp)
• Science Direct
• Other related web portals
Useful links to help getting started with MATLAB Communications:
Deliverables and Marking Scheme
It is required to combine both the tasks together in the form of a research of up to 15
pages. Marks will be given for the student demonstrating an understanding of the subject
and using correct citation and referencing.
1. Marks will be given for:
• Understanding the subject
• Structure (sensible headings and sub-headings)
• Correct Terminology
• 3rd Person
• References (must be peer reviewed journals)
• Flow nicely Marks [0-40]
2. A detailed description of the design choices and calculations for each component and for
the system as a whole. This section should also include results (e.g. graphical or
numerical results of simulations) obtained while investigating and refining your design.
This might, for example, include a discussion of trade-offs in your design, based on
measured performance etc. Marks [0-20]
3. Simulations in MATLAB should include performance evaluation and optimization of the
proposed system. Marks [0-20]
4. Discussion on comparison of results with the state of the art Marks [0-10]
5. Demonstration of a final working cellular mobile communication system. Marks [0-10
Purpose of the Assignment