This was the clinical issue from my previous assignment:
What are the barriers encountered by nurses to effectively change the conventional practice of pre-operative fasting in adult surgical patients to the dissemination and implementation of evidence based research supporting the reduction of prolonged fasting into clinical practice?
From the identified clinical /professional issue described above please write an essay to address the following
• Discuss how you would utilise an evidence based approach to change professional practice.
• Describe how you would implement this change to professional practice
• Explain how you would undertake an audit process to determine if the change in professional practice has influenced health outcomes.
Please ensure the following:
1. Identify and analyse the paradigms used in research studies
2. Critically appraise the research and professional literature relating to nursing practice to review and enhance clinical decisions
3. Formulate clinical question/s using systematic methods
4. Utilise a range of strategies to implement evidence based practice
5. Conduct an audit to determine if change in professional practice has influenced health outcomes
The following criteria must be met:
1. Locate, evaluate and synthesise an extensive range of highly relevant information that demonstrate the need to change professional practice
Explicitly acknowledge all sources through the report
2. Develop, and evaluate a plan to address the change to the clinical or professional issue identifying a range of change management strategies to support the implementation
3. Develop a detailed audit plan to assess the change in practice for the clinical/professional practice issue
Provide an in depth analysis of the audit plan that addresses clinical/professional issue.
Comprehensively explain the impact on health outcomes