Leadership and Followership
In the book Understanding Leadership: An arts and Humanities perspective by McManus & Perruci, read chapters 13 and 14 and listen to the audio Presentation by Dr. Peter Caccavari reflecting on the Sicard’s sculpture, “The Good Samaritan”.
Set the following questions up as you would sections of a research paper using shortened versions of the questions for your section headings (centered). Use proper APA citing and referencing, 12 point, double space.
Write a 6 to 8 page paper that addresses the questions below:
1. Like Sam in the play, “Master Harold”….and the Boys”, Burns implies that leadership has an ethical dimension; that is, leadership should motivate both the leader and the follower to “higher levels of morality.” Do you agree or disagree? Why?
2. Using specifically Sicard’s sculpture of “The Good Samaritan”, how does this artifact speak to you as a leader and as a follower? Be sure to address what it means to you in your role as a leader and in your role as a follower. Draw on specific insights from the chapter in your response and cite the source.
3. What is social capital and what are the distinctions between its two types, bonding and bridging? (cite your source)
4. Using Sicard’s sculpture, “The Good Samaritan”, show how this Arts and Humanities artifact exemplifies “bridging social capital”.
5. McManus and Perucci ask, “What happens when society’s norms go against basic human values –e.g., liberty, equality, justice and community.” (p. 246)? Compare/Contrast what a society with little social capital, both bonding and bridging, would look like and feel like vs. a society with high social capital of both bonding and bridging. Write two clear descriptive paragraphs, one for each society. Then summarize the difference.
6. Which artifact or seminal thinker from our text has had the greatest impact on your understanding of good leadership and good followership? Explain.
7. Choose one of the culture context chapters (chapters 6-11) from our text, then identify the culture that best expresses your own leadership-followership attitudes and values. What is it about that culture that resonates so well with you? (This will address learning outcome I)
8. End the paper by responding to the following question. In what ways are you different as a result of this course? Which artifact from this course best represents this change in you. Show that connection.
The post Leadership and Followership appeared first on superioressaypapers.