1. How did religion contribute to the antislavery movement? Why do you think some people claimed that slavery had been established by divine authority?
2. Look at the Wide Awake poem in your book on p.187. Compare the sentiment here to the sentiment that resulted in SB 1070 in Arizona. Similar, or relevantly different?
3. In what way did the Puritan tradition support American independence?
4. How would you characterize the difference between the religion of the churches and the religion of the Republic, as presented in Chapter 5.
5. Do you think of America as a Christian nation? In what sense?