Teaching and Managing Learners at the Secondary Level
1) Look back into your past to identify a class which you think was problematic in terms of classroom management. Describe the profile of this class, taking into account gender differences, Social Economic Status (SES), special conditions of the learners, etc. Discuss how these factors impacted students’ behaviour and academic performance. Identify the classroom management issues that are associated with this class. The class profile and issues raised in this section will be used as an example to support your arguments on how you formulate your personal approach to discipline in Question 2. (10 marks)
2) Assuming that you were to teach the class identified in your response to Question 1, explain how you arrive at your personal approach to discipline as follows
a. Describe and discuss your personal philosophy for education, in terms of:
• the basic needs of your students,
• how your students learn best,
• the degree of teacher control versus student autonomy in your classroom.
b. Select and apply the steps in Edwards’ Model that you consider most appropriate
for deciding on your personal approach to discipline
3) Describe the personal approach to discipline that you have decided on in your response to Question 2. Apply your approach to the class identified in Question 1.