Assist students on understanding the principles of environmental engineering design (e.g. design wastewater treatment facility). Students will learn the treatment procedures for providing safe, dependable products of water to families, market and farming and in protecting the quality of water in rivers, lakes, aquifers and around seaside locations. Involvement of students in the design of environmental engineering system such as wastewater treatment engineering introduce students to the challenging and complexity of design any environmental engineering system.
1. Demonstrate an understanding of principles underlying environmental engineering design
2. Identify stakeholders and present alternative viewpoints on engineering projects
3. Take into consideration the complex, local and global, social political cultural and ecological contexts in performing a technical role or designing an engineering system
4. Take into consideration the impact of decisions on the environment and society.
Consider that you are an environmental engineer who is working for Muscat Municipality. In 2018 you are asked to submit a report related to pollution control of selected industry and household waste (X or Y) in Oman considering public health issues.
You have to prepare a conceptual design for a wastewater treatment system for the selected Wilayat based on the following aspects:
1. Bring out the detail about the types of pollutants produced, treatment units and processes
2. The water quality that would result from the system in term of quality, national and international standard, social and cultural acceptance, and ecological impact.
3. Data’s about the Controlling sources of pollution, Pollution prevention approaches to reduce, eliminate, or prevent pollution at its source, should be considered.
Examples are to use less toxic raw materials or fuels, use a less-polluting industrial process, and to improve the efficiency of the process such as the use of sustainable manufacturing or working.
You have to prepare control strategies for managing air quality from land transportation in any selected Wilayat of Muscat and discuss the ways to achieve reduction in air pollution.
1. Controlling emissions related to transportation which can include emission controls on vehicles as well as use of cleaner fuels.
2. Discuss stakeholder engagement and public participation for emission control and make sure that your design or strategy will be benefited for both the environment and society
Note: You are free to discuss a design or analysis of any industrial project of your own choosing any Wilayat in Oman. Both Task 1 & Task 2 should be compulsorily included in the report. A minimum of three house can be selected as pollution source.
· Number of pages: Maximum 20 pages excluding references list and the appendix (if any).
· Line spacing: Generally use 1.5 x line spacing.
· Start with the title page (including your name) or student number as requested.
· It is preferable to place figures within the text rather than group them at the end of the report.
· Give a sequential number to all figures (Fig. 1, Fig. 2, Fig. 3, etc.)
· Add a brief, informative caption to the figures.
A. Report Proposal [will be marked out of 100 and scaled down to 10 marks]
Your proposal should include the following:
Step 1 – Executive Summary/Introduction (approximately 1 paragraph)