In this task, you will write a narrative description of your field project. The narrative should appropriately note in-text citations and references. You may attach, as appendices, any charts, tables, or other materials (labeled with the source identified per APA format). Use the headings in the requirements section below as the headings for your written paper.
WGU nursing students participate in the three pre-populated activities on the time log as their first engagement within their community. These activities are documented in their assessments for “Community Health and Population Focused Nursing” however the associated clinical hours (25) are acknowledged and credited on this form as clinical activities for this course.
Note: If you are a student who resides in the state of California, your performance assessment will have slightly different instructions than shown in the Preview. Please refer to the instructions displayed when logged into your Taskstream account. If you see this same message in Taskstream, please contact your mentor.
A. Submit the attached completed time log documenting at least 90 hours of clinical experience in community health.
Note: Please use the attached Community Health Fieldwork Documentation Form (non-regulated states).
1. Include the appropriate acknowledgments, your handwritten or typed signature, date and RN License number on the time log.
Note: Use the attached Community Health Fieldwork Documentation Form and be sure to include the date, the location, a description of the experience, a brief list of people who were involved, and the amount of time spent for each event. This should be included as an appendix.
Note: Random audits and verification of time log activities do occur. Violation of the WGU Code of Student Conduct or the Academic Authenticity Policy could result in disciplinary action.
Write a narrative description of your field project by doing the following:
1. Describe the community where you performed your fieldwork by identifying each of the following items:
• geographical area (e.g., county, city, town)
• area size
• population size
• physical and social environment (use the windshield survey from task 1 of C228)
2. Discuss the health concern you studied in your fieldwork.
a. Provide background information in relation to Healthy People 2020 and local public health data that characterizes the health concern.
b. Provide data from national, state, and/or local levels related to the health concern.
3. Describe the target population affected by the health concern you studied in your fieldwork, including each of the following components:
• demographics, including socioeconomic status and educational level
a. Explain how the health concern is linked to a health inequity/health disparity for the population of interest.
i. Provide specific data to support the health inequity/disparity conclusion.
4. Discuss the primary community resources and partners currently involved with the health concern.
a. Describe how your fieldwork interviews support your chosen health concern, including a summary of the interviews.
5. Discuss aspects of the population health concern not being addressed despite the efforts of the partners involved.
C. Outcomes Identification
1. Explain the desired outcome(s) or goal(s) for improvement related to the health concern.
Note: This outcome or goal should be in alignment with Healthy People 2020 objective.
1. Create a nursing action plan to address the identified population health concern.
a. Recommend two population-focused specific objectives.
Note: The recommended objectives should be measurable ones.
b. Recommend two population-focused specific nursing interventions to improve the health concern.
Note: Use the attached “Minnesota Intervention Wheel” as an aid in selecting the broad areas for nursing action. Select primary and secondary prevention activities only. For example, explain how you and other nurses might work with the community and your chosen target population of interest to improve the health concern.
2. Discuss potential public and private partnerships from your field experience that could be formed to implement your recommendations from parts D1a and D1b.
3. Create a specific timeline for your population-focused nursing interventions.
1. Explain how you would evaluate the effectiveness of the nursing action plan created in part D.
a. Identify the measurable tools necessary to perform the evaluation.
1. Reflect on how your perspective of the community’s health and the national, state, and local efforts toward a healthier population has changed as a result of your fieldwork.
1. Include appendices if necessary (e.g., charts, graphs, copies of any surveys, maps).
H. When you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.
Note: For definitions of terms commonly used in the rubric, see the Rubric Terms web link included in the Evaluation Procedures section.